Saturday, June 28, 2008

Indian Creek Triathlon 600 M, 12.8 mi., 3.1 mi.



Well here they are, a few pictures of the deathathon. Today is our 25th wedding anniversary, June 28th, 1983. We have been planning this event for several months and today it came to be. Interestingly, while riding in the truck early this morning (5 AM by the way to get there in time) Karen said, 'I am as nervous today as I was just like our wedding day 25 years ago'.
The swim was first, 600 meters in a box route, out 200 meters, down the lake 300 meters and then back to the shoreline 100 meters. I was in the Masters and Clydesdale group (over 50 and/or over 200 lbs). I was the 5th wave of swimmers. Ashley and Mom were behind me in the next wave (3 min later) in the female novice group. After much kicking in the arms and legs (its a battle out there) we finally made the shore. When I got to my bike Ashley was already there. She did this portion in about 13 min, me and Mom were closer to 17 minutes.

She apparently smoked right past me in the fray. The bikes were a scream. Arrowhead helmets and solid carbn fiber rims all around. No match for our ole Schwinns!! Mom was a trooper. Her front wheel did not spin freely due to the disc brake being a little tight. She had to work extra hard. Ashley's set would not stay up. When I saw here from behind here knees were bumping her earlobs. I stopped to help her adjust it. One of the arrowhead helmets was hit by a car and had his front rim folded in half. He was hurt pretty bad.













The run was brutal with multiple hills. We were so glad to finish and get rehydrated and eat some chow. Ashley and Mom placed 10th and 11th in the Novice Female class. I placed 21st in the Clydesdale (Don't ask how many entered).











All in all it was an absolute thrill to finish this race together. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Dad






2 comments:

Melissa Zuber said...

Congratulations!!!! You guys look like you did super! I so wish I was there to do this with you! Ashley and Tanner there is one out here in November--be prepared and ye shall not fear!

Kirt, Katie, Soren and Tucker said...

Absolutely fantastic job to all of you! I'm so proud of you guys. What a neat thing to do. I should have stayed a few days longer so you could take Soren with you Dad : ) he loved riding that bike with you!