Saturday, October 24, 2009

Clarification on Family Biking


There has been so much talk about the 100 mile bike ride that I needed to clarify. The original plan was to park at the eastern most point of the Silver Comet Trail in Marietta, Georgia and ride to all the way to Anniston, AL, a mere 100 miles in one day. Then we would stay in a hotel there and ride back to the vehicle the next day. yea right. We opted for a modified plan. Karen and I along with the Weilers drove to Anniston, AL and started at the western most point and rode west.
The trail is called the Chief Latiga Trail on this end. We rode 33 miles to the Georgia state line and then back again for a total of 66 miles on Friday. We rode 10-12 miles per hour for ...well let's just say, many hours. We were fine as far as the heart and lungs went but my aching hind end. And yes, we had on padded biking shorts. If any of you are wondering, biking shorts do not make up for not riding a bike regularly. To ride this long you really do need what I call 'bum practice.' Granola bars and trail mix were good but after 5 hours I needed a little more sustinence. After a good dinner and a hotel we were ready for another ride, well sort of. We drove back into Georgia and rode for about 24 miles more and then home. I've added this second picture of our bikes so you could see how Mom handled her bike when we stopped. Her bike always found itself piled on top of mine. It was a super fun trip and oh how nice it feels to walk.

3 comments:

Melissa Zuber said...

BAHAHAHAHA! That is really funny! I so so wish I was on this adventure with you guys! Dad this is one of the best pictures of you! Maybe when I come out we can do 100 miles together. Jay and Mark don't mind baby-sitting right? ;0) sneaky smile

Nancy said...

Great pictures! I would love to do that sometime. It was really fun talking to you last week.

Kristin said...

WOW. 100 miles! That's awesome!